Monday, January 7, 2019

14 Days 'til Disney World - Part 2: "Presearch"

I am planning to leave for Walt Disney World in about two weeks.  Last week, Disney announced new package offers for WDW.  That was when I started looking at the time frames in March and May that I was originally considering.

I've been pretty-well set on the middle week of March because I could save up to 35% on a room, and it would allow me to make FastPass plans at the 60-day mark. Dining options would probably be better, too.  But the first week of May also appeals to me because I'd be at WDW for my birthday AND the Saratoga Springs Resort (deluxe category) has a studio at a 40% discount.  But I'd get home too close to Mother's Day, and would have to travel out of state again right after traveling across the country.

The thought of waiting all the way until May is too much.  In addition, the March dates are at the beginning of the Spring Break season and the may dates are at the end of it.  So I decided to look at earlier dates... much earlier. I put the end of January on the radar.  This will require a little magic on the part of the airlines.  I need at least 7 days in the parks, and don't want to spend more than $300 on round-trip airfare from Southern California.  A tall order, I know.

Prices for air and hotels change constantly.  A good reason for this is cancellations and unsold seats and rooms.  As a travel agent, it is essential for me to do my due diligence when researching flights and accommodations for my Clients.  That is even more important when I am researching for my own travel.

Disney rates are pretty stable right now.  But the availability is constantly changing.  Plus, I can't decide if I want the same hotel for the entire stay or if I want to plan a "split stay"' with two or even three resorts.  Another factor I have to consider is football.  My favorite team, the New England Patriots are in the NFL Playoffs, and will hopefully make it to the Super Bowl.  I have narrowed my options down to a departure after the January 20 AFC Championship, and a return before the Super Bowl, which is on February 3.

My working dates are January 22 - 30.  I'm giving myself until this Thursday (the 10th) to make a decision.  In the meantime, I will look at dining and FastPass availability during that week.  Since I'm well within the reservation windows for both, I will be able to make reservations, even without a room booked at this point.

I have noticed that all of the theme parks close at 8pm most nights except for Epcot which is always open until 9pm.  Magic Kingdom stays open until 11pm one night.  Both MK and Epcot have evening Extra Magic Hours once, while Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios don't.  Two parks have Disney Early Morning Magic, and three of them have Disney After Dark events.  Both of these are separate "hard-ticket" events.

That's it for the "presearch".  Now I have to get started on the real fun. I hope to have some major progress by the end of the week.  Look for "14 Days 'til Disney World - Part 3" by early next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment