Monday, January 7, 2019

14 Days 'til Disney World: A Planning Exercise

When I renewed my Disneyland Annual Pass last August, I decided to upgrade from the resort's highest-level Signature Plus pass to the Premier Pass, which includes the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts.  It's been more than three years since I was last at Walt Disney World, and also as a Premier Annual Passholder.

For 2018/19, I originally planned to visit during the week after Thanksgiving.  Unfortunately I had to cancel those plans, but I knew there was plenty of time until I would have to renew.  After the new year started, I focused my attention on March and May as potential dates to visit.  But I abandoned those time frame for one that will be much sooner.

I've been to Walt Disney World (WDW) nine times since 1997.  The majority of people who visit Walt Disney World will tell you that the planning for a WDW vacation can be overwhelming.  Many people stress-out over the prospects of researching hotels, getting the dining reservations they want, and securing FastPass Plus times for the most popular attractions, along with all of the planning that goes into any regular vacation (air fare, transportation, budget, ect.).

Other WDW visitors look forward to the planning process because they consider it part of the vacation itself.  They don't mind getting up before daylight (in many cases) to be among the first to get dining and FastPass reservations.  They even enjoy searching multiple times every day to find those reservations that elude them.

It's not uncommon for future guests to make hotel reservations a year or more ahead of their arrival.  Dining reservations can be made six months in advance.  FastPass Plus times for guests staying at most resorts on Disney property can be secured sixty days before arrival.  Many Disney regulars will that you "must plan everything as early as possible." I disagree with this thought process. If you plan your vacation that far in advance, you could end up waiting a year or longer for your trip.

Life is too short, and I am not that patient...

For me, when it comes to a Disney World vacation, that space between "I'm going to Disney World!" and "I'm Home!"(at Disney) is like a black hole of excitement and anticipation that can seem (or actually be) very long and slow.  Every day can feel like Christmas Eve felt when I was ten years old.   All we really want is for the long and slow part to take place after we arrive "Home".

For my next return "Home", I've decided to put my professional vacation planning skills to a test, and plan a "last-minute" Walt Disney World "working"vacation for myself.  My entire planning process will occur during the two weeks leading to my departure date.  I'm going to chronicle the entire planning process here on Disney Park Fan Blog. I hope you will follow along and share with your friends.

I'm excited to see how much I can get done in such a short period of time.  Feel free to ask questions in the comments, or join my group,  Disney Park Fan Base on Facebook.  I hope you will find this series informative, educational and even entertaining.

To begin following my planning adventure, please look for "14 Days 'til Disney World -Part 2" here on the blog, and on my social media platforms.

No comments:

Post a Comment