Tuesday, January 22, 2019

14 Days 'Til Disney World Part 6: I Have Arrived

Well...I did it!  Two weeks ago I started planning my latest Walt Disney World vacation.  I exhaustively researched airline flights, endlessly considered and reconsidered Resorts to stay at, stayed up late and got up very early to make FastPass+ and dining reservations, and had a whole lot of fun in the process.  During that time, I also got to watch my New England Patriots win the AFC Championship Game.  Now they are headed to the Super Bowl. But today, I am writing the final entry to this series from my room at Disney's Yacht Club Resort.  I could't be happier with this decision.  More on that in a bit.  

Getting here was a breeze.  Yesterday afternoon, my partner took me to LAX from our home in Irvine, CA.  Since my flight wasn't until 10:30pm, we arrived very early and stopped at a Farmer Boys restaurant near the airport for dinner before he dropped me in front of the terminal.  I was seated at the gate 2 hours before departure.  The Delta flight was right on time at 10:30pm.  I tried to sleep on the plane, but that wasn't really happening.  

My flight landed in Orlando early (5:30am) this morning.  I deplaned and made my way to the rental car area outside of the terminal.  I picked out a car and made my way to the exit.  Shortly after exiting the facility, I noticed a couple issues with the car, so I circled back and returned to the rental locaton.  I explained the situation and had to wait for a representitive to come out and help me get another car.   By now it was a little after 6am.  

I got my second car, and checked my phone, where I saw a text from Disney's Yacht Club Resort notifying me that my room was ready, and displaying the room number.  I headed towards Walt Disney World.  Using my disability placard, I was directed to valet parking at the Yacht Club.  I forgot that valet was free for cars with placards.  I dropped my bags and headed inside to go to my 3rd floor room.  

After an all-night flight, it felt like it took forever to walk to my room.  But once I opened the door, the first sign of Disney Magic appeared.  This room is absolutely beautiful!  I paid for a standard view room at approx $250/night.  Upon entering the room it became clear that I was upgraded...twice!  I went from Standard View to a Water View room.  This was a leap frog over the Garden View room.  I am now in a $500+/night room.  The view of the lake, with Disney's Boardwalk right across the way is amazing.  I can't wait to explore.  

My plan for today is to eat breakfast and then rest here at the hotel.  I'll be heading over the Disney's Animal Kingdom at around 4:00 this afternoon, to enjoy the last few hours before it closes, and Disney After Dark begins.  I can't wait to see Animal Kingdom for the first time at night, and to experience Pandora for the first time as well.  

I hope have enjoyed this series on my planning for this vacation.  Thanks for following along.  Now it's off to enjoy my vacation.  Stay tuned for follow-up reports from my vacation.  See you real soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment