Thursday, January 10, 2019

14 Days 'til Disney World - Part 3: Red-Eye Nights and Flights

Since part 2 of this series, I have been burning the midnight oil each evening planning my upcoming Walt Disney World vacation, which is now confirmed for January 21 through 30.  With the vacation so close, I fully expected my airfare to climb to near $400, which is quite higher than my original budget of $300 round-trip. 

I patiently, yet persistently monitored multiple travel sites for available flights to Orlando. I live about fifteen minutes from the John Wayne/Orange County Airport (SNA).  Unfortunately it's very difficult to stay on any "budget" when you want to travel across the country from SNA.  So my travel plans had to involve flying from the less expensive, yet much further LAX. 

Every time I travel to Orlando, I take an overnight "Red-eye" flight.  I simply hate the idea of wasting an entire day traveling across the country, only to get to Disney World in time to check-in to the hotel, and go to bed.  Overnight flights get me into Orlando between 5:30 and 7am, giving me an entire day for rest, relaxation and theme parks. 

My outbound flight from LAX will depart Monday night before 11pm, arriving in Orlando the next morning by 6:30am.  It's a non-stop flight, so I should be able to sleep most of the way. My return trip on January 30 will leave Orlando in the late afternoon, arriving home at SNA around 10pm.  There are two huge benefits to this flight.  1) I get to spend another half-day in the parks before heading to the airport.  2) I will have a much shorter ride home.  My other half will drop me at LAX and pick me up at SNA, so I won't need to worry about a shuttle. 

This trip will involve a different airline each way.  These days this isn't a problem in the least. I chose "basic economy" fares for both flights. Some airlines nickel and dime you for everything.  I was able to avoid them.  I won't get to choose my seats unless I pay a little bit more, but at least I can bring two carry-ons aboard. 

Total cost for air fare: $317.00

Click here to join my Facebook group,"Disney Park Fan Base"

I've managed to book a few days worth of FastPasses so far, based on the park schedules.  I'm still working on my itinerary, but I have a rough plan.  So far, the only rides I can't find  times for yet are the brand new Slinky Dog Dash at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Avatar Flight of Passage at Disney's Animal Kingdom and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at Magic Kingdom.  I will continue to look for these, but I have no intention of missing or skipping these new attractions.  I've ridden Seven Dwarfs Mine Train a few times before, so no worries their either. 

Since part of this vacation involves work for my travel agency, I am thinking about purchasing a ticket to Disney After Dark at Animal Kingdom.  The three-hour event takes place on the evening of my first full day at WDW.  I've heard some pretty good things about these after-hours events.  And even though I'd much rather have a free Extra Magic Hours event there instead, I may have to go ahead an pony-up the $95 for a ticket.

I'm still struggling on my resort selection.  I've been leaning towards a split stay with four nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna Room) and four nights at Wilderness Lodge (Boulder Ridge Studio).  I have put a courtesy hold on both, while I make-up my mind.  I would really like to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club.  But the rates are too high right now.  I'll keep checking. 

I'm getting excited for my trip, which is now about a week and a half away.  I still have a lot to do, but I'm feeling pretty good about my progress.  By my next post, I hope to have my hotel decision finalized and some more progress in the other areas.  Please stay tuned, and if you have any questions about my planning thus-far, or about how you can start the planning for your own trip, feel free to leave a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment